After spending some time thinking
over what I want to grow, and drawing out a rough plan of where to
put it all, my mum and I went off to Irish Seedsavers, situated just
outside Scariff. In the summer they have a cafe and a shop to sell
their seeds, and although the cafe was closed during the winter
months, I could peruse the seeds they had on offer at my leisure.
They were very helpful and gaveme advice about which seeds to get
and when to plant them.
| Some of the seeds I bought |
I’ll just make a list here of all
the seeds I bought and the variety name:
Courgette: ‘Gene bank marrow’
Cucumber: ‘Wautoma’
Spinach: ‘Giant Noble’
Lettuce: ‘Garnet Oak Leaf’ and
‘Verde A Foglia Riccia’
Peas: ‘Irish Green’ and
‘Nordland Snow’, and a Sweet Pea for the bees
| We have a bee hive. They looked pretty happy on a particuarly sunny winters day last thursday. Hope to make them happier with lots of flowers. |
Tomato: ‘Broad Ripple Currant’
and ‘Polen’ (I only like cherry tomatoes)
Basil: ‘Sacred’- a much hardier
version with smaller leaves
Beetroot: ‘Formanova’
I also discovered some seeds hiding
away in a container I hadn’t looked into yet. Of the seeds I
thought could be used (some were out of date or eaten by
fungi/insects/something) includes courgette, little gem lettuce,
early purple sprouting broccoli, and a seed multipack containing
beetroot, perpetual spinach, tomatoes, more little gem lettuce,
carrots, and leeks. I also saved some bean seeds when I took the dead
bean plants out. So lots to work with!
One thing I would like to add here
is about the wonderful advantage of buying seeds from Seedsavers;
all their plants are open pollinated. This means that they will all
produce viable seed that I can harvest and save to use next year.
This is in contrast to F1 hybrid seeds, in which two somewhat
genetically different parents (e.g. two different varieties of maize)
are hand pollinated (crossed) to create hybrid seed. This is
desirable in many crops as F1 generations are often stronger, bigger,
or produce more seed, or are sterile in the case of cucumbers or
grapes or many other types of fruits with no seeds in them, which
effectively ends their reproductive line. In the F1s that do produce
seed, it may produce an F2 generation that is sterile or has less
seed, or more susceptible to disease, just generally worse than
either the F1 or the original parents. This crop science technique
has been very useful across the world in producing large
amounts of food as the population grows bigger, but it also means
that using F1 hybrid seed I would have to spend money on new seed
every year. But with open pollinated seed, genes are mixed around as
the pollen from many types of parents or crossed back and forth,
creating a genotype (its genetic makeup) and phenotype (what it looks
like) that is stable generation after generation.
| Creepy roots/horseradish. Could be from another planet. |
Back to the garden. I mainly worked
on various beds around the outside of the polytunnel, and started
with the rock raised bed. This was easy enough; I just needed to put
fallen rocks back in the little wall that creates the bed. I then dug
out the weeds that were in there and cut out shrubby shoots that I
think have grown up from the fruit tree next to the bed. My original
plan for this bed was a herb garden, but as it was such nice soil and
in a large clear area I may put the peas in there instead.
The next raised bed I worked on was
the tall wooden one right next to rock bed. It looked like much
easier work than the rock bed as it is half the size and mostly
cleared earth, but in the end it took an hour to dig up as there was
all this creepy-alien- triffidy roots growing in them. Apparently it
is horseradish (bleugh). But now I have a wonderful cleared bed for
something else. Maybe carrots? Courgettes?
The rest of the work involved
trimming. As I don’t have secateurs, I had to use a mini saw, but I
cut back the blackcurrant bushes, which were happily spreading
themselves in many directions (I didn’t know they could do this!).
I also tidied up the lavender and rosemary, which was very pleasant.
| Almost all the roots I pulled out of the wooden bed behind |
Lastly, I have started moving some
tyres around. I am removing tyres that are directly behind the
polytunnel and are in the way a bit. As I was moving the soil that
was in them, I found some potatoes, which went into my dinner that evening. I
also moved two tyres of heather out of the way (actually turned into
4 clumps).
Next on my to-do list is fun
exciting things like planting my first seeds, and rather boringly:
moving more manure. A LOT more. And probably gathering up more pots.
In other news, a few tulips are
peaking through, and the daffodils are getting ready to bloom. Spring
is round the corner!
| Two beds I cleared and are ready for plants |
Adventure continues..
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment