Monday, February 16, 2015

Hannah the Potter and the Polytunnel of Seeds

The week began with a couple more barrows of manure into the tyres next to the damson tree. I have decided to put my beetroot in these for the reason that last year some broad beans were growing in them. Beans and other leguminous plants are great as they replenish the soil with lots of nitrogen thanks to the nodules of bacteria that live symbiotically in their roots. Adding an extra bit of manure will hopefully give all the nutrients beets need to grow and be delicious. As I am worried that there may still be a few frosty nights through the beginning of spring, I covered the tyres in cloches to protect my (hopefully) germinating seeds.
Preparing garlic and shallot
 bulbs. Yummy yummy!

My rows of carrots
The doors are back on!
Its a cosy plastic house now.
I then started getting to work on growing carrots. Normally you would plant these outside in deep, stone-less, finely raked soil, but there is none of that in a place that is named ‘Place of stones’ in Irish. So it’s easier to plant them inside in my lovely, deep, stone-less beds. First I made sure that the soil was loose and got rid of any lurking weeds. Then I made mounds and grooves in the soil on top of which I poked a shallow hole and sprinkled a few carrot seeds in, then covered them up. These mounds are mainly so I know where I put my carrot seeds in case I’ll be planting anything around them. Then a good dousing with the watering can and that’s all I can do for now. Fingers crossed!
Of course, the doors to the poly-tunnel are still off, leaving room for the cats, dogs, and howling gales to come breezing through and make mischief. So I got a couple of new hinges and up they went with a bit of help. Now hopefully my carrots will be toasty warm and sheltered from frosts and will feel like germinating right away.

In the other big bed in the poly-tunnel I planted last year’s garlic and shallots all around the edge of the bed. This again was so I could keep track of where they were so I don’t dig them up, but I’m also hoping the strong smell and taste of the leaves of these plants will deter any pests away from tasty things that I will plant in the middle of the bed. 

I got in some potting compost. Although I have made up my own compost using left over bits of dried soil from here and there, I wanted to get my plants started off in substrate that was sterile. Unfortunately I didn’t have time (or internet, thanks countryside!) to research where I could get alternatives from a peat-based compost. This is something I wanted to avoid as Ireland has been continuously destroying peatlands, which is of our most biodiverse and functionally important habitats. But convenience overweighs time and money for me in this case.

Peas, Beans and Tomatoes
potted.
Preparing potting compost.
Strawberry tyres. They
look a bit floppy and sad here
after being weeded.
To prepare my own soil for potting I have to sieve it to get rid of large bits and chunks I don’t want in the pots. As I am standing still and quiet, I have started listening to podcasts and at the moment I am listening to The Infinite Monkey Cage with Robin Ince and Brian Cox, plus amazing guests where they talk about everything science. Very entertaining!

Once I put my home-made soil into the pots, I put a handful of the bought potting compost in, plant my seed(s) and then cover them with more bought compost.  

Come on, Spring!
This week I started potting peas (irish green and nordland snow) and beans (broad, dwarf, and French) and put all my tomatoes in seed trays with covers. Grow grow grow little guys! I’m hoping the weather will stay mild with no cold snaps so they will be encouraged to grow soon. But all of these growing plants will be staying in the poly-tunnel for now. If it gets too cold I can bring them inside.

Other things I have been doing in the garden include lots of trimming with my new secateurs. They’re so sharp! I also planted some seeds of rocket around the rows of carrots. Rocket is delicious so I am looking forward to them coming up. The strawberries got a bit of a tidy up. They had sent off shoots in all directions which where rooting themselves everywhere.

 Thats all for now folks,

Hannah






No comments:

Post a Comment