Monday, May 11, 2015

Greeny growy things

I'll break the sad news to you first: The tomatoes and beans have suffered severely from the cold snap. I won't even show you the damage because its very upsetting and kind of embarrassing. I should have know it was going to get colder! But on the plus side I had put a few jam jars over some of the beans (which are now outside) so a few of them survived and some of the tomatoes have started to grow some new leaves. I also have many more tomato plants inside which I had planned to give away to friends and family but will be replacement plants now.

   
Everything else is doing great! The rocket has bolted and formed lovely flowers. I am still collecting leaves for my salad from them, and I hope they will produce lots of seed so I can get a second crop from them in the summer. I've started harvesting lettuce leaves from all of my lettuces, although the little gem is growing quite slowly still. I made my first bed of salad leaves about a week ago from all 4 leaves here. The spinach seedlings are growing up quick but I won't take any leaves from them until they are a bit bigger in case it slows them down or damaged them. The perpetual spinach seems to have bolted overnight and is now about 1.5m high! The leaves are still yummy and succulent though.

  

The pea plants are still my greatest success. Now outside in their permanent bed, they didn't even notice the last frosts and have begun to flower. I am very excited to harvest my first pea plants soon. And  I have seedlings from the last seeds I planted: my courgettes and cucumbers have come up, although got a bit slug eaten. I will have to do something about those pesky slugs. I wonder if you can get trained hedgehogs... 

To end this I am going to show off some of the lovely strawberry flowers and rhubarb stalks that have come up all on their own and have needed no care from me at all. Thank you little plants, you will make a great pie some day.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment